How can I improve my Internet Access connection speed?
There a several factors that can limit the speed you are able to connect at:
- Make sure that your modem is capable of 56k, and that it is in good working order.
- Only connect phone cords directly from the modem to the wall jack, as going through a splitter or other device will degrade your connection speed. However if you live in an area with power issues, it may be advisable to route through a surge suppressor to stop high voltage from damaging your computer.
- Make sure that your telephone cord going from the computer to the wall jack is in good shape. When in doubt, buy a new one.
- Make sure that the wall jack is wired correctly and in good shape.
- Static noise on the phone line will limit your connection speed. Call the phone company, but do not tell them you need higher modem speed or they will not help you, rather tell them that the static is affecting telephone conversations or just plain annoying.
- If all the above fails it is probably the wiring in your home or office, which can be corrected by having the phone company run a new wire straight from the distribution box to the room where the computer is. Also have them install a new wall jack.